28 April 2010

Meanwhile, on the other side of the world...

P4260316.820

The heat is intense, the afternoon we arrive there is enough wind, but the heat is still overwhelming on my island. A bloody 34 degrees celcius in the shadow and humidity up to a stunning 98%. Saltwater fishingtrip? Saltwaterfall running down my butt in between the cheecks. And it’s sweaty without salmonides on that particular streaming river…

But what the heck, it’s always good to be back home and the first morning I am out there at 6.00 am. Nice time to get on to the favorite flats and got my old faithfull TFO TiCrx #8 with me this first day. Just checking out the fish and their behavior.

That first morning I get three fair chances, manage to set the hook on one bonefish, but as I strip-strike the tippet already breaks. The fish flees with a huge bowwave in front of it. It was a true nice Arubian, estimated fork-tail about 20inches. The other two chances I think I spook the fish right before it is in perfect position, mostly because you’ll always want just that one other false cast to make sure you've got the distance right.

The next day I know what I am up to. Time to start practicing with the new gear. Got myself a cold beer with me, just in case I will manage to catch the first bone of the trip. This time it is the Vosseler S3, an Airflo Bonefish line and the Echo 2 SW #9 that will acompany me on the roaming and wandering on the small Arubian coral flats.

As it is still very cloudy I decide to start at a new spot, further west then I ever went before. I know a nice piece of reef. Seen some Bones there before and rumour has it there’s a small chance at Permit.

I walk on the edge as I think I see a greenish shadow that does move a bit. I keep an eye on it and just as I think it doesn't move I see it flashing a bit silvery for a fraction of a second. I know that! That could well be fish.

The first cast is just in place and a small strip already creates a reaction in the greenish shadow. It moves towards the place the fly dropped and I immediately loose sight at the fish. But I know it saw something and is one it’s way to prey, so staying calm is the advise I try to give myself. Easier said than done.
Then the tail pops out and I know it is eating something. I strip, feel resistance and strike. The run, the hit… it all happens so quickly. I shoot the line through my fingers, making sure it does not get entangled or wrapped around the fighting butt. The sooner the fish is on the reel, the better. Some clicking sounds as the connection of the fly-line to the backing rages through the snake-eyes of the Echo 2 SW.

Game is on! And immediately I grab the rim of the Vosseler to start breaking more. There’s an awfull lot of coral heads and very soon the line stands out to one point. The fish I can feel pulling, but the direction of the line does not move at all. Corals!!! I start running to retreive line and drop tension on the fish. Fortunately these S3 reels are seriously large arbor and I can get in the backing and first 10 yards of fly line almost quicker then I can run towards the place I assume the line got stuck.

One quick move with my stripping hand and the line is untrapped. But it goes straight out to a next rock. Luckily there’s nobody around, it must be a strange and funny sight. A fly fisherman who runs criss cross on a flat, untrapping his line from rocks for at least seven or eight times, while a fish just swims ahead of him crossing and trapping the line to yet another coral head.

But hey, I get it out in the open and after a second, softer run I manage to get the fish to hand. As it is low tide and the rocks are just underneath or a bit above the waterlevel I make some quick snapshots of the fish on an edge of rocks. Then the fish is released. Decent size, I would say average but on the small side for down here, but definitely a worthy opponent under these conditions.

P4260319.820

P4260321.820

I walk back to the car, satisfied with the gear and the first fish I sit down on a stone with a smile on my face. It is about 7 am as I pop up that wel deserved ice cold beer.

Sander

1 comment:

  1. Great job!....voelt dat lekker he...die ene vis..dat alles ff klopt....behalve gedoe met lijnen dan..

    zet m op gozer

    gr E

    ReplyDelete