05 February 2010

Very private sessions

Okay, so the first pig of the season was a fact. Me and Dr. J. looked back at that small lunch break session with some sweet memories. It is mid October and I am totally into pike. Practice makes perfect and as it is my day off I definitely need to get out to fish. The only problem is there are no buddies who can join. And although that makes it possible to have all the sweet spots for yourself, it cuts away some part of the fun.

Usually when I go out alone I am not concerned about pictures… It is the catch I want and fish can be released either in the water while having a good grip on them or I’ll take them away from their environment for a small moment to unhook it properly and get it back ASAP. But now it is a bit different. As we are eager to get material for the blog it is good to keep in mind there might be a nice photo opportunity, whether it is a nice shot of the scenery or a sweet spot. Something that comes along and is worth writing about.

I hate to put the fish on the ground, pictures of a fish lying helpless next to a rod are very rarely an addition to any report and surely it is not the good role-model we all pretend to be.

After a walk with the dog in the park I come to the conclusion I might as well go to some places I have not been for a while. Maybe explore some new spots. When with friends it feels comfortable to go to places at least one of us knows, just to be sure there are potential chances of getting fish on. The first place that comes in mind is nearby and I get the dog in to the house and get my gear. Minutes later I am on my way. I park the car, the water looks quiet and as it is a Monday (the worst day of the week according to my own philosophy) I am not yet expecting too much. Nice and pleasant casts, working my way along a canal. The water is clear and it does not take long before I get my first “follower”. But whatever trick I try, it does not get the fair-sized fish to strike. Blame it on the Mondays ;-) is my final (and first) conclusion. Hell, it can’t be me that does something wrong, can it?

Within 50 meters I see another pike. Fairly close to shore it lies in ambush awaiting some prey to pass by. As I cast away from it and then make the streamer pass by it reacts slowly. The pectoral fins lift up the pike and it seems to be preparing for a strike. Then it sees me and with a swirl it is off, leaving some washed up mud-clouds behind. See…blame it on that bloody Monday again (oh, sorry Bono, I know you like to refer to Sunday as bloody).

I think I saw at least two more pikes that where scared of anything strange before finally I managed to provoke a strike. I strip-strike with confidence and not much later the fish is at hand. Got the camera on my vest, so why not take a lousy shot for whenever a photo is needed about these terribly lonesome sessions. The pike is back in quick and swims away… Poor guy that will be trying his luck here on Tuesday. He won’t catch much.....was it already because of the weekend most fish won’t strike, now just blame it on that Monday!


I go along, but don’t think I am bored, although Mondays are not so good, it is better then sitting on the couch for some different kind of private/lonely session. And way better then working, let that be clear.

I see some more action, but none of the fish I see are truly into it and one misses the streamer but does not let me get a second chance. I guess she noticed something was not right with that prey and the second (third, up till ten casts) shot there was no reaction anymore. I even tried different streamers and different angles, not to mention placing my cap the other way around on my head. The old backward cap trick: when you place your cap backwards they might think you re leaving and are less suspicious, makes you also look way cooler by the way.

Then there is that curve in the canal, no bridge, just a basic curve, the water is a little bit wider over here and I am sure it is deeper too. Several casts don’t give any result until I make that nice cast right along the side of the canal. After some strips I see her coming… It is a definite yes and without any fear she makes a terrifying shot at the streamer from behind. Bloody…. This is the type of lady we go out for. Without any hesitation she goes on and swallows the streamer, leaving me shocked for a moment, as she comes right at me I don’t feel any tension and I have to strip hard to even think I can feel something. Then she turns to the deeper part and I feel her yanking on the line, a hard strip-strike must set this deal. As I lift the rod tip it gets bend way down from the start. I can only feel this enormous pressure and that feeling is one that could be described as “most satisfying”. We have a short struggle to determine who is the strongest player out on the field today. But after a while she capitulates. As I get her closer to shore I notice she’s fat. Not a piggy, but a hog! I strip in some more line as she is next to shore, then let the line loose and grab the leader. I slip my hand behind the gill-plate, get a firm grip and as I look at her I notice something about the body is weird, she has a massive bulge in her body. When I start lifting her the mouth opens and I immediately get an answer to the why. There is still a pike’s tail coming out of the throat and judging the size of the tail her previous prey would have been a nice catch itself.


Where is that buddy when you need him?

Now one of the real difficulties of this type of mission sets in, this is definitely a fish you do want to have a picture of. Holding it firmly with one hand in the water I grab the camera. Thank god for the desktop tripods that we can get nowadays. It was already attached to the camera, so with one hand I flap out the pods of this mini tripod. Then I try to get to the timer in the menu of the point and shoot camera. I pull the big mama ashore and try doing it all as fast as I can. Press the auto shutter button and stroll back a meter or so. While lifting up this fish with both hands, I take three shots this way and then get her back in the water. Will there be any useful stuff shot? I don’t care for that moment, she has to be returned and as I put here in the water she tells me it is alright by splashing a big spray of cold water in my face as she takes off. I sit down and enjoy the glory of the moment. Then the concern starts hitting me. Are the pictures ok? Luckily for me a quick glance at the pictures shows me they are not the grade A quality, but the fish is on it and that’s enough. During the process I even had a chance to measure and without any bragging about it, she beats the 40 inch mark fair and square!


No need to say I drove home with an ever bigger grin on my face. Who is that retard that says it is waste of time to fish on Mondays?

Sander

No comments:

Post a Comment